Why Chocolate is Bad For Dogs?

798

Discover why chocolate can be so dangerous to our canine friends and what steps you should take if your pup has already ingested some.

We’ve all heard the warnings – chocolate is poisonous for dogs. But why exactly is this? Yes, we all know it’s bad for them, but do you know the technical ‘whys’ behind this common knowledge?

In this blog post, we will discuss why chocolate can be so dangerous to our canine friends and what steps you should take if your pup has already ingested some.

woman getting licked by dog

Why is Chocolate Bad For Dogs?

Quick Overview of the Dangers of Chocolate for Dogs

Everyone knows they shouldn’t give their dog chocolate, but not many people know why.

Chocolate is bad for dogs because it contains cocoa. And one of the chemicals in cocoa is theobromine. Theobromine is a methylxanthine. Methylxanthines are a group of naturally occurring substances found in coffee, tea, and chocolate.

Consuming even small amounts of chocolate can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and other serious health problems in dogs.

The “darker” (higher levels of cocoa) the chocolate, the more dangerous it becomes for canines.

As loving pet parents, it’s essential to be aware of the risks and take precautions to keep chocolate out of their reach.

How Much Chocolate is Too Much for a Dog to Consume?

Humans have enzymes that quickly break down theobromine, but dogs don’t.

The theobromine lasts for a long time in dogs before being fully digested. Its half-life is 17.5 hours in dogs but only 2-3 hours in humans.

Just how much chocolate is considered too much depends on factors such as a dog’s size and the type of chocolate they eat.

A small amount of milk chocolate may only cause mild stomach upset, but dark chocolate or baker’s chocolate can be lethal even in small quantities.

To ensure the health and safety of our furry companions, it’s best to avoid giving them chocolate altogether. If your dog does happen to ingest chocolate, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Levels of Theobromine Found in Various Foods

Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened, processed with alkali [Dutch cocoa] 1 cup (86g) 2266 mg 67.1mg
Baking chocolate, unsweetened squares 1 cup, grated (132g) 1712 mg 106mg
Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened 1 cup (86g) 1769 mg 198mg
Baking chocolate, unsweetened, liquid 1 oz (28g) 447 mg 13.2mg
Puddings, chocolate flavor, low calorie, regular, dry mix 1 Package (40g) 238 mg 7.2mg
Desserts, rennin, chocolate, dry mix 1 Package, 2 oz (57g) 242 mg 7.4mg
Puddings, chocolate flavor, low calorie, instant, dry mix 1 Package, 1.4oz box (40g) 189 mg 5.6mg
Syrups, chocolate, HERSHEY’S Genuine Chocolate Flavored Lite Syrup 2 tbsp (35g) 68.3 mg 2.1mg
Cocoa, dry powder, hi-fat or breakfast, processed with alkali 1 oz (28g) 685 mg 20.2mg
Candies, chocolate, dark, 70-85% cacao solids I bar (101g) 810 mg 80.8mg
Cocoa, dry powder, hi-fat or breakfast, plain 1 Tbsp (5g) 92.6 mg 10.3mg

Sources:  “CAFFEINE & THEOBROMINE.” The Hershey Company. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Sept. 2013.
“Nutrition Information.” Nutrition Facts, Calories in Food, Labels, Nutritional Information, and Analysis NutritionData.com.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

When dogs ingest chocolate, they can experience a range of symptoms that indicate poisoning. These symptoms usually show within 6 to 12 hours after eating chocolate.

Some of the most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, panting, pacing, and high blood pressure.

In more severe cases, dogs may experience seizures, muscle tremors, or even death.

It is important for dog owners to be aware of the signs of chocolate poisoning and seek veterinary care immediately if they suspect their pet has ingested any chocolate.

Remember, prevention is key when it comes to keeping our dogs safe and healthy!

Treatment Options for Chocolate Poisoning for Dogs

Chocolate poisoning is a serious issue that requires immediate treatment. There are several options available for treating a dog with chocolate poisoning, including inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care to help maintain the dog’s vital functions.

It is important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible if you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, as the longer you wait, the more dangerous the situation can become.

With prompt and proper treatment, most dogs can recover from chocolate poisoning, but prevention is always the best course of action. Be sure to keep all chocolate and other potentially harmful foods out of your dog’s reach to keep them safe and healthy.

girl smiling with dog sitting in hammock
Me and my sweet boy, Vík.

Conclusion

We need to be extra vigilant when it comes to keeping our four-legged friends safe from the dangers of chocolate.

While it may seem like an innocent treat, this yummy snack can quickly turn into a nightmare if ingested in large quantities.

It is always better to be safe than sorry, so always keep your dog away from any potential hazards, especially chocolate.

The medical treatment options that are available should help to ease any symptoms caused by canine chocolate poisoning, but prevention should always remain top of mind.

Ultimately, knowledge is power, and understanding more about the risks associated can potentially save a life.

Let’s do our part in keeping our canine pals away from this delicious treat and protect them from unnecessary harm!

FAQS

What types of chocolate are dangerous for dogs?

Chocolate is a popular treat that many of us love, but did you know it can be deadly for our furry friends?

Dogs should avoid any type of chocolate as it can cause significant harm to their health. There are various types of chocolate, including dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate.

However, dark chocolate is the most dangerous for dogs due to its high levels of theobromine, a chemical compound that can be toxic to dogs.

Even a small amount of dark chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and in severe cases, death.

It’s crucial to keep all types of chocolate out of reach from our beloved pets to keep them safe and healthy.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?

If your dog eats chocolate, even a small amount, you should call your vet.

Your vet will ask you questions, such as how much chocolate your dog consumed, what type of chocolate it was, and how much your dog weighs.

Your vet might instruct you to induce vomiting in your dog or bring them to the hospital, depending on the amount they have consumed.

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, please, don’t wait for warning signs. These can take 6 to 12 hours to show up.

More Blog Posts You Will Love

Why Chocolate is Bad For Dogs

Join the Conversation

  1. Hi there!
    My name is Alison, and I was surfing the net and came across your website.

    Our company would like to cooperate with you by placing our posts on your platform.
    We are writing well-researched and data-driven articles that might fit your content well and benefit your audience.

    Are you accepting guest posts? If yes, please let us know the working conditions and post requirements.
    We would appreciate your answer.

    Have a nice day!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
House Fur © Copyright 2021. All rights reserved.
Close