Hey coffee lovers and party hosts! Today we’re sharing a recipe for the ultimate Duck Fart shot recipe. This rich, creamy treat is perfect for any occasion. So fire up the espresso machine, and let’s get started on this tasty shot recipe!
A Duck Fart Shot is a conversation starter of a drink made with Kahlua, Bailey’s, and Jack Daniels.
What is a duck fart shot, and why is it called that?
The Duck Fart cocktail is said to have originated from the Peanut Farm, an iconic bar in Anchorage, Alaska.
One chilly night, an older woman stepped into the bar and asked for a shot of tequila. She followed up with a B-52 and then requested a Grasshopper. Intrigued by her choices, Schmidt decided to try something new – layered shots! After assembling the bottom layer with Kahlua, he was topping it off with Baileys when she suggested adding some Crown Royal as well.
With that curiosity piqued, and since it was a slow night at the bar, they experimented together, creating all sorts of layered combinations, thus the birth of this 3-layered shot. When he served her the shot, the loud sound that emanated from her when she took the shot resembled the noise a duck might make if someone stepped on it.
Another story suggests he wore a duckbill then, which could have been where his inspiration originated.
The other popular opinion is that this classic cocktail’s name originated in its creator’s hometown of Oregon – but no matter what stories you hear about how “The Peanut Farm” received its title, one thing remains true: This beloved drink has made an everlasting home there!
Whether for a conversation starter or just a laugh, this shot will bring happiness!
What does a Duck Fart Shot taste like?
This delectable duck fart shot provides a heavenly blend of creamy coffee and smooth whiskey, finishing with the perfect whiskey kick. I love it because it is “coffee forward,” and you KNOW how much I love coffee cocktail drinks!
How to Make A Duck Fart Shot
Despite the name, this Duck Fart Shot is serious stuff. Creamy layers of coffee and vanilla flavors are topped off with a kick of whiskey—a shot mixed with a few emotions. This cocktail recipe is very simple and has no cleanup because you do not need a cocktail shaker!
- 1/2 oz Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1/2 oz Jack Daniels Whiskey
- Pour the Kahlua first into the bottom of your shot glass (the shooter style works best).
- Time for the second layer! Carefully layer the Baileys on top of the Kahlua.
- Slowly pour the Jack Daniels final layer onto the Baileys, allowing it to settle above the two layers.
- Serve and enjoy your Alaskan Duck Fart shot!
Duck Fart Shot
- 1 jigger
- 1 Kitchen Spoon
- 1 Tall Shot Glass 2 ounces
- 1/2 ounce Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1/2 ounce Jack Daniels
- Measure out your Kahlua and pour it into your shot glass.
- Measure out the Bailey’s. Gently and slowly pour it over a spoon into the shot glass. Be sure the spoon tip meets the liquid already in the glass before you begin pouring.
- Follow step #2 with the Jack Daniels. Enjoy!
- You can use any coffee liqueur or Irish creme, but we know Kahlua and Bailey’s are the best.
- The original shot used Crown Royal as the final layer. You can use any whiskey you prefer. Go for your favorite.
- It’s important that the spoon isn’t held too high above the glass or the liquid already in the glass, or it will mix the ingredients. It’s also important you pour it slowly. Too much weight at once will mix it as well.
- You’re not supposed to mix these ingredients before taking the shot. It’s taken in layers, and you’ll go through different emotions as the layers hit you. I mean, at least I did. Strong stuff!
- The top two layers will look like they’re mixing a bit, which is normal. Almost like the Bailey’s is snaking into the whiskey. It’s part of the charm of the Duck Fart.
What is the spoon method when pouring layer shots?
The spoon method is pouring a liquid layer over the back of a spoon, so that it lightly floats on top of the previous layer. This helps create distinct layers rather than mixing all three ingredients together in one shot.
What is a Duck Fart Shot?
A Duck Fart Shot is an intriguing layered shot made with Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream and Jack Daniels. t is a sweet and creamy shot that is sure to get the conversation going.
What other liqueurs can I use in a Duck Fart Shot?
Good question! You can use any coffee liqueur or Irish creme you prefer, but Kahlua and Bailey’s are the most popular. You can also use any whiskey you prefer. Some people prefer to use their favorite Canadian whisky, though Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey or Jack Daniels is the traditional choice.
What is the difference between a B-52 and a duck fart?
The main difference between a B-52 shot and a Duck Fart Shot is that the B-52 has three layers of liqueur, while the Duck Fart only has two. The B-52 also contains Grand Marnier instead of whiskey.
Is it necessary to use the spoon method for layer shots?
Yes, using the spoon method when pouring layer shots is important. This helps create distinct layers rather than mixing all three ingredients together in one shot. The kitchen spoon should be held just above the liquid already in the glass so that it lightly floats on top of the previous layer. This method makes layered effect shots look perfect!
What are some other coffee cocktail shots?
Some other coffee cocktail shots include Brain Hemorrhage, Irish Coffee, Mexican Coffee, and B-52.
Whether for a conversation starter or just a laugh, try this Duck Fart Shot the next time you’re out and looking for new drink recipes. Enjoy!