You’re probably thinking, “Wait…Did Ren use an actual self-tanner?”
The answer is “Yes. Yes, I did.” I may be a tomboy at heart, but I am getting into beauty products and having a blast trying them out! Today’s Honest Tomboy Beauty Review: Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner.
I wrote this review on my own and not being compensated & this is not a sponsored post.Â Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner is a great solution for me because I am self-conscious about my pale skin. I am also terrified of spending too much time in the sun to achieve a “natural” tan.
I did this review because one of my clients, Hailee, used Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner before her recent photography session with me. As a professional photographer, I am perceptive and get very irritated by unnatural skin tones. It makes me very nervous when clients tell me they are going to get a spray tan or use a sunless tanner. I was pleasantly surprised by how natural her tan looked! I am not kidding you – she wasn’t orange at all.
A little preface to this blog post: I have only ever used Neutrogena’s Sunless Tanner Build-A-Tan Lotion, and I thought it was very smelly, sticky, and left my skin looking unnaturally orange. I am no beauty expert but I am experimenting with different beauty products and am excited to share the ones I like and will buy again.
Honest Review of Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner
Tanologist Water Sunless TannerÂ Product Details
- I bought the Medium (it comes in Light, Medium, and Dark)
- Vegan, organic, & cruelty- free
- Non- comedogenic = no clogged pores
- Transparent formulation = no transfer onto clothes or sheets
- The multi-purpose formula is suitable for use on both face & body
- Odorless. Can be used as a hydrating setting spray
- You can buy it for the best price on Amazon or at Target.
My Initial Thoughts of Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner
- The product arrived via Amazon at around 3pm, and I was very excited to try it. Here are my notes before, during, and after my first application on August 9th.
- I wear a ridiculous amount of sunscreen on my face and body every single day, so my skin is naturally fair – it looks like the color of bamboo when it is “tan.” I like this color, and I want it to last all winter because once I am out of the sun, I am so pale, and I don’t love it. I ordered this product with hopes that I could achieve and maintain this color year-round.
Tanologist Spray Scent
- Â Not overpowering floral, almost tropical scent. I liked how I could smell when I sprayed, but as soon as it absorbed into my skin, I didn’t smell it anymore.
- Bonus! I received a compliment from my husband, Caleb when he walked by as I was applying, and he said it smelled amazing.
Application & First 48 Hours Details
- Easy. IÂ read the label, and it seemed easy enough.Â I don’t own a “tanning mitt,” so I just used my hands.
- Mid-spray I was worried about not having a mitt, so I double-checked the Tanologist website and found a quick tutorial video – confirmed using my hands was OK.
- I did several spritzes directly on my skin at my underwear line and rubbed it in a circular motion. I washed my hands thoroughly afterward.
- I applied it at 4:00pm just in my upper thigh area to make sure I wasn’t allergic to anything because I have skin allergies. I applied it only there so I could see if it would be lighter or darker than what my natural summer skin tone is right now after several days in the sun.
- Notes: It feels like you just put on massage oil, pretty refreshing. It did not stain my underwear or the patio furniture cushion that I was sitting on after I applied. As it was developing I still didn’t smell anything funky. I am really grossed out by the usual smell of sunless tanners.
- By, 4:40pm I am able to see my upper thighs turning a light tan, almost matching the rest of my legs that are exposed to the sunshine. Most importantly, no itchiness, redness, or skin irritation! I am really happy right now. The packaging says it will darken as time passes. I am curious to see how it will darken overnight, especially after showering tonight.
- 9:00am, August 10th (the next day) My upper thighs didn’t darken anymore overnight. I am applying the sunless tanner to all parts of my body. I am not going to spray my feet so that I can make a solid comparison when I take photos.
- Notes: I did notice an “orangish” patch on my right ankle where I must have forgotten to rub it in, and there was one area on my right palm that looked darker – so, just another reminder to make sure I wash my hands well after application.
- 3:00pm on August 10th. I am tan throughout my entire body. I am incredibly happy. When Caleb and I went out to get lunch today, he said, “Your legs look incredible, both fit-wise and tan-wise.” This just confirms that I didn’t have any weird streaks or abnormal coloring.Â Â I applied it to my face as well earlier today, and it looks slightly tan, very natural no steaks! A perfect golden glow! I am really happy with how natural the color looks! My hands are still orange from yesterday’s application.
- 5:00pm, after taking my second shower the tan is still there. No fading whatsoever. My ankle area is still a little orange even after showering, so I think I need to buy a tanning mitt and then I will spray directly on the mitt instead of directly spraying onto my skin and then on top of that be very thorough when washing my hands after applying.
How Long Does Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner Last?
- According to the FAQS on their website, “Tanologist is developed to last up to 7 days, but we recommend reapplying every 3 days to maintain your glow.”
- Day 2: Looking good! I reapplied in the areas I missed on the back of my legs.
- Day 3:Â Still looking good! IÂ can see that my feet are so pale in comparison to the rest of my legs. I purposely did not apply any of the sunless tanner to my feet so that I could see a definitive difference in skin tone.
- Day 4: Still looking smooth on my neck, arms, legs. I am so happy I have a little color and do not look like a ghost!
- Day 5: Starting to slightly fade on my calves. I also noticed tiny little splotchy spots on the driest areas of my body.
- Day 6: Still looking great everywhere except for my driest areas that I mentioned for Day 5. Caleb and I went to a pool today and I felt so confident amongst all the other tan women. I usually am so nervous so walk around in a swimsuit because I feel so pale and am embarrassed about my dry skin – but, not today!
- Day 7: Â It has significantly faded – almost not visible at all. I think the day at the pool (chlorine in the water and gobs of sunscreen) made the tanner fade away rapidly. But, I am really satisfied because it was been 1 full week! I feel awesome and happy that I found a safe sunless tanner that works for my sensitive skin.
- Day 8: I reapplied this morning. This time, I used a tanning mittÂ so that my hands wouldn’t be stained orange for the next week. It worked great!
You can see that my feet are so pale in comparison to the rest of my legs. I purposely did not apply any sunless tanner to my feet so that I could see a definitive difference in skin tone.
In conclusion, I am happy with this sunless tanner and hundreds of Instagram ads later and wondering why I didnâ€™t try it sooner! I plan to keep using it throughout the rest of the summer and I plan to use it throughout the winter as well. I am curious how it will keep up considering my skin is even drier in the winter. I will write an update post to share my findings. Until then – have a great day, friends! See you on Instagram and Facebook!
My tanning mitt came in the mail. I will never do it straight from my hands again! This mitt is soft and velvety and is very easy to clean. This is the one I got, but there are several on Amazon that look identical.
Have you tried a sunless tanner that you love? Have you tried any Tanologist Products?