I’m always on the lookout for new sunless tanners, so when I heard about Tanologist Self Tan Water. I was excited to try it out.
It’s a water-based sunless tanner that is supposed to give you a natural-looking tan without any harmful chemicals. I was a little skeptical, but I decided to give it a try.
In this blog post, I will share my honest review of Tanologist Self Tan Water.
I am no beauty expert, but I am experimenting with different beauty products and am excited to share the ones I like. And let me just level with you right now; I LOVE Tanologist self-tanning water. I truly believe it will be considered one of the best self tanners for 2023!
Today’s Honest Tomboy Beauty Review: Tanologist Express Self Tan Water.
Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner is a great solution for me because I am self-conscious about my pale skin and I have very sensitive skin.
A little preface to this blog post, I’ve tried a few self-tanning lotions in the past. Most recently the one I tried was Neutrogena’s Sunless Tanner Build-A-Tan Lotion, and I thought it was very smelly and sticky, and left my skin looking unnaturally orange.
My Honest Review of Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner
What is Tanologist Tanning Water?
A spray tan in a bottle. Tanologist is a water-based sunless tanner that gives you a natural-looking tan without any harmful chemicals.
Tanologist self-tan products are made with ingredients to minimize the chance of breakouts. Selecting these hydrating ingredients means no dry skin, no streaks, and no more clogged pores for all skin types.
The application is quick, easy & mess-free. Just mist it onto my skin and blend. It is available in 3 adaptable shades, choose yours based on your desired end result:
- Light Glow
- Medium Tan
- Deep Bronze
- Tanologist Face and Body Drops: Supercharge your skincare routine with custom Self Tan Drops for your face & body.
- Tanologist Express Self Tan Water: Totally transparent tanning water mist onto the skin for a quick, easy & mess-free glow.
- Tanologist Express Self Tan Mousse: Achieve a flawless, long-lasting tan with a totally transparent water-to-foam tan mousse.
- Tanologist Self Tan Overnight Oil Treatment
- Tanologist Flawless Tanning Mitt – Reusable and Washable Self Tanner Applicator for Smooth and Streak Free Self Tan
Tanoloigist self-tanner is made with hydrating ingredients such as:
- Aloe Vera: Hydrates & Soothes
- Pink Grapefruit: Tones skin
- Goji Berry: Powerful anti-oxidant
- Juniper: Reduces the appearance of blemishes
Each bottle of Tanologist self-tanning Drops, Waters, and Mousses is:
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Certified to contain non-irritating ingredients
- Not linked with causing breakouts
- Non-comedogenic (no blocked pores)
Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner Product Details
- I bought the Medium (it comes in Light, Medium, and Dark)
- Vegan, organic, & cruelty-free
- Made with goji berries and pink grapefruit
- Non- comedogenic = no clogged pores
- Transparent formulation = no transfer onto clothes or sheets
- The multi-purpose formula is suitable for use on both face & body (they make drops specifically for your face)
- You can buy it for the best price on Amazon via subscribe and save
My Initial Thoughts of Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner
I have fair skin and I wear a ridiculous amount of sunscreen on my face and body every single day, so my skin is naturally fair. I ordered the Tanologist self-tan water with the hopes that I could achieve and maintain a beautiful summer glow tan year-round.
Tanologist Spray Scent
- Not an overpowering floral smell; it is almost a tropical scent. I liked how I could smell it when I sprayed it, but as soon as it absorbed into my skin, I didn’t smell it anymore.
- I’ve used self-tanners in the past, and they smelled absolutely obnoxious, and the smell lingered long after it had been absorbed. Tanologist does have a smell, but I do not find it offensive.
Easy Application Process & The First 48 Hours Details
The directions on the Tanologist self-tan water bottle say to “Apply liberally and evenly to clean, exfoliated skin.” I applied it with a mitt, and it went on very smoothly. I will say that Tanologist’s water-based formulation is much thinner than other sunless tanners I’ve used in the past. The Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner developed quickly, about an hour.
My Application Notes
- It is so easy to apply! I read the label, and it seemed easy enough. I bought a tanning mitt because it makes application way easier than spraying directly on my skin. I spray the self-tan water on the mitt and then rub it on my skin. This mitt is soft and velvety and is very easy to clean. This is the one I got, but there are several on Amazon.
- I applied it at 4:00pm just in my upper thigh area to make sure I wasn’t allergic to anything because I have sensitive skin and some allergies. I applied it only there so I could see if it would be lighter or darker than what my natural summer skin tone is right now after several days in the sun.
- Notes: It feels like you just put on massage oil; pretty refreshing. It did not stain my underwear or the patio furniture cushion that I was sitting on after I applied it. As it was developing, I still didn’t smell anything funky. I am really grossed out by the usual smell of sunless tanners, so I am so happy that this is so pleasant!
- By, 4:40pm, about an hour later, I am able to see my upper thighs turning a light tan, almost matching the rest of my legs that are exposed to the sunshine. Most importantly, no itchiness, redness, or skin irritation from this self-tanning spray! I am really happy right now.
- The packaging says it will darken as time passes. I am curious to see how it will darken overnight, especially after showering tonight.
- 9:00am, August 10th (the next day) My upper thighs didn’t darken anymore overnight. I am applying the sunless tanner to all parts of my body because I confirmed I am not allergic to this self-tanner.
- I did notice an “orangish” patch on my right ankle where I must have forgotten to rub it in, and there was one area on my right palm that looked darker – so, just another reminder to make sure I wash my hands well after application.
- 3:00pm on August 10th. I am tan throughout my entire body! I am incredibly happy, and I look so good! When Caleb and I went out to get lunch today, he said, “Your legs look incredible, both fit-wise and tan-wise.” This just confirms that I didn’t have any weird streaks or abnormal coloring. I applied it to my face as well earlier today, and it looks slightly tan and very natural, with no steaks! A perfect golden glow for my usually pale, dry skin! I am really happy with how natural the color looks and my skin feels moisturized.
- 5:00pm, after taking my second shower, the tan is still there. No fading whatsoever!! I am hooked!
TIP: Just a friendly reminder: use a tanning mitt to avoid orange palms!
How Long Does Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner Last?
According to the FAQS on their website, “Tanologist is developed to last up to 7 days, but we recommend reapplying every 3 days to maintain your glow.”
I will say that I have used Tanologist for over a week now, and it has faded very gradually. I have applied it every few days to maintain my color, and I am still happy with it!
My Notes on How Long It Lasts
- Day 2: Looking good! I reapplied in the areas I missed on the back of my legs.
- Day 3: Still looking good! I can see that my feet are so pale in comparison to the rest of my legs. I purposely did not apply any of the sunless tanners to my feet so that I could see a definitive difference in skin tone.
- Day 4: Still looking smooth on my neck, arms, and legs. I am so happy I have a little color and do not look like a ghost!
- Day 5: Starting to slightly fade on my calves. I also noticed tiny little splotchy spots on the driest areas of my body.
- Day 6: Still looking great everywhere except for the driest areas that I mentioned for Day 5. Caleb and I went to a pool today and I felt so confident amongst all the other tan women. I usually am so nervous to walk around in a swimsuit because I feel so pale and am embarrassed about my dry skin – but, not today! My skin is hydrated and tan!
- Day 7: It has significantly faded – almost not visible at all. I think the day at the pool (chlorine in the water and gobs of sunscreen) made the tanner fade away rapidly. But, I am really satisfied because it was been 1 full week! I feel awesome and happy that I found a safe sunless tanner that works for my sensitive skin.
- Day 8: I reapplied this morning and I am still so happy! You can see that my feet are so pale in comparison to the rest of my legs. I purposely did not apply any sunless tanner to my feet so that I could see a definitive difference in skin tone.
Is Tanologist a good self tanner?
Yes! Tanologist is an amazing self-tanner! I am so happy with the results. The color is natural and buildable, it doesn’t have that gross sunless tanner smell, and it’s lightweight and easy to apply. I will definitely be using this self-tanning spray from now on!
What are the ingredients in Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner?
Aqua (Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Ethoxydiglycol, Glycereth-26, Commiphora Mukul Resin Extract, Coleus Forskohlii Root Extract, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Erythrulose, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Aloe Barbadensis Extract*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil*, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract*, Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil*, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract*, Punica Granatum Extract*, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Dipropylene Glycol, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Triethylene Glycol Organic extracts
What happens if you leave Tanologist on overnight?
If you leave Tanologist on overnight, you will wake up with an amazing, natural-looking tan! I did this myself and was extremely happy with the results. Just make sure that you apply it evenly and avoid any areas that might be particularly dry (like your elbows or knees).
Other than that, you’re good to go! Tanologist is a great self-tanner that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for an easy, foolproof way to get a beautiful tan.
How long does Tanologist take to develop?
Tanologist takes about two hours to develop. However, I would recommend waiting at least four hours before showering, as this will give the product ample time to set and achieve the best results possible.
How I found out about Tanologist
One of my clients, Hailee, used Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner before her recent photography session with me and I was blown away by how NOT fake, her fake tan looked.
As a professional photographer, I get very irritated by unnatural skin tones. It makes me very nervous when clients tell me they are going to get a spray tan or use a sunless tanner. I was pleasantly surprised by how natural her tan looked! I am not kidding you – she wasn’t orange at all, which is the biggest downfall for most self-tanners.
Final Thoughts on Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner
I absolutely love Tanologist self-tan water! It is so easy to apply, it doesn’t have that self-tanner smell, it’s affordable, and it lasts a long time! I highly recommend Tanologist Water Sunless Tanner to anyone looking for a good sunless tanner!
In conclusion, I am happy with this sunless tanner and hundreds of Instagram ads later, and wondering why I didn’t try it sooner!
Have you tried a sunless tanner that you love? Have you tried any Tanologist Products?