I Started Taking Magnesium. And, it isÂ definitely doing something!
Magnesium is an extremely important mineral that aids in many functions and processes in the human body. As I have been reading more about it, I can basically tell you it is magic for our bodies! Honestly, the only thing that’s changed . . . is everything!! The benefits I have received since I started taking magnesium everyday are outstanding!
It occurs naturally in foods such as kale, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and fish. Although a magnesium deficiency is not common, most Americans are not taking in enough to support their body’s daily needs. I know up until about a year ago before I started taking magnesium supplement, I definitely wasn’t! Thankfully, magnesium is an easy supplement to add to your daily routine. I have made it a nonnegotiable to my bedtime routine to take magnesium. Magnesium is the magic supplement I never knew I needed!
Caleb and I take 2 100mg tablets of Magnesium every evening after we brush our teeth before bedtime. When I am feeling like I have a cold coming on or I am extremely sore from hockey or a workout, I will take 300mgs. According toÂ Kaitlyn Berkheiser, “The RDA for magnesium is 310â€“420 mg for adults depending on age and gender. If you require a supplement, dosage recommendations can vary depending on your needs, such as to improve constipation, sleep, muscle cramps or depression. Most studies found positive effects with daily doses of 125â€“2,500 mg.”
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
10 Benefits of Taking Magnesium
- It helps you sleep. One symptom of magnesium deficiency is insomnia. Magnesium increases GABA which helps the mind and body relax and get to sleep, which is a vital part of daily functioning.
- It helps strengthen bones and teeth. Though calcium is touted as being the best supplement for bone health, magnesium is just as important, as it keeps calcium in the blood and helps the body absorb it.
- It helps manage diabetes. Sufferers of diabetes have lower levels of magnesium due to elevated blood glucose levels. It is crucial that diabetes patients take magnesium supplements to help manage their symptoms.
- It helps with PMS. Magnesium can ease bloating and insomnia, some of the symptoms that occur during that time of the month.
- It reduces anxiety. Mental disorders, including anxiety, have been known to occur in patients with severe magnesium deficiency. Keep magnesium levels normal to avoid increases in anxious thoughts and feelings.
- It helps keep you regular. We all know how constipation can be a real day-ruiner. Magnesium naturally aids in regularity as it has a laxative quality by helping relax your bowels and bringing in water to your intestines.
- It helps with asthma. There is evidence to suggest that magnesium helps in treating asthma due to its bronchodilating and anti-inflammatory effects. Children with moderate to severe asthma have seen the best results.
- It increases energy. Magnesium targets cells to revitalize the body in a natural way. Low levels of magnesium disrupt the body’s ability to successfully use energy stores.
- It treats migraines. Low levels of magnesium leads to more frequent headaches, and recurring migraines are often due to magnesium deficiency.
- Great for heart health. A healthy ticker has a lot to thank magnesium for: the mineral promotes healthy blood pressure and relaxes muscles inside the arteries to improve cardiovascular function and regular rhythms.
Magnesium is an incredible mineral and the body suffers immensely if levels are found to be low. There are so many benefits to takingÂ magnesium I was unaware of.
Thankfully, if magnesium is not a part of your daily diet, it can easily and affordably supplemented. You can purchase Doctor’s Best 100 mg High Absorbtion tabletsÂ of magnesium tablets on amazon or at your local drug store.