A List of 9 Common Houseplants That Are Toxic To Pets

533

Unfortunately, some common houseplants can be toxic to your dog or cat.

Houseplants are a great source of fresh air in your home. Besides, they bring life into your living room. For many of us, these plants are just what we need to spruce up our homes.

Unfortunately, some common houseplants can be toxic to your dog. You need to ensure that plants such as Aloe vera, Devil’s Ivy, Caladium, among others, aren’t within reach to your pet as they are poisonous.

Here is a list of houseplants that are harmful to dogs and cats to keep your best friend safe. 

Devil’s Ivy

Devil’s ivy is a popular house plant as it’s versatile and easy to keep alive. This is a plant that will look good hanging on a shelf or your window. 

However, Devil’s ivy, if ingested by pets, is highly poisonous. Some of the immediate symptoms your pet will show include foaming, oral pain, pawing at the mouth, and vomiting.

If possible, avoid having this plant in your home if you own a dog or cat that likes to get into things it shouldn’t. Alternatively, hang it high where your pet can’t reach. We have all of our Devil’s Ivy on wall-planters where our animals cannot reach them. 

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is another popular plant that you probably have in your home. Its medicinal value makes it a favorite for most people. 

Unfortunately, it should be known that Aloe Vera is toxic to dogs and cats because it contains anthraquinone glycosides.  The pet experts at The Idle Pup told us that these are purgatives that encourage bowel movement in your dog. Once ingested, your pet could suffer from:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Anorexia
  • Depression
  • Change in urine color 

Ensure that the plant is kept away from your pet. It would also be best to educate your children on the risks of using the plant as a play tool when interacting with pets.

aloe vera plant

Dragon Tree

Dragon tree or Dracaena draco is a beautiful plant to have in your home. The size of the plant also helps fill empty corners in your rooms. The dragon tree plant is also easy to grow as it has minimal water requirements, so it’s a popular option for many homeowners. 

If you own a dog or cat, you shouldn’t have this plant in the house. Pets are curious, and you may find your pup or cat nibbling on its leaves.

Drooling and vomiting are some of the common symptoms observed when the plant is ingested. Such symptoms can quickly lead to dehydration in your pet. 

Thus, if you suspect your pet has ingested Dracaena, consult your vet immediately.

Asian Lily

Asian lily is one of the most colorful indoor plants. The popular holiday plant is often available a week or two before the Easter festival. Hence it’s not unusual to find it in most homes. 

The plant, unfortunately, is known to be extremely poisonous to cats. Digestion of a few leaves can cause kidney failure resulting in death.

To avoid this unfortunate turn of events to your fur baby, ensure you keep the Asian lily plant away from your home.

Begonia

The begonia plant is an ideal indoor plant if you’re looking for a plant that can do well in low lighting. Because the plant comes in a variety of colors, many homeowners find it appealing.

As much as this plant appears harmless, you should take precautions if you have a pet in the house. Digestion of the plant may not prove fatal to your pet but can cause vomiting and mild stomach upset.

Keep the plant away from your pet, especially from your feline, to reduce unexpected emergencies.

Cyclamen

Cyclamen is a beautiful plant that adds color to your home. Because of its brightly colored flowers, the plant will easily attract the attention of your pet. 

Cyclamen has irritating saponins. If your pet ingests the plant’s roots or tubers, it will lead to diarrhea, drooling, and vomiting. 

In the case of large ingestions, the plant can cause:

  • Cardiac problems
  • Seizures
  • Death

Thus, ensure your pet cannot reach the plant if you intend to keep it in your home for decorative purposes.

Caladium

The elephant ears plant is prevalent in most homes. Because of its sheer size, you will be tempted to have it indoors to fill empty spaces in your living room

The plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that can cause soft tissue injury and swelling of the mouth if chewed by your pet. The size of the plant means it’s impossible to keep out of your pet’s reach. Therefore, you’re better off not growing it in your home.

Snake Plant

Also known as the snake plant, the mother in law tongue plant is an architectural species that adds elegance to your home. It’s also easy to maintain and requires little sunlight making it an ideal indoor plant. Besides, this plant absorbs pollutants, making it a perfect choice for fighting airborne allergies.

Unfortunately for your pet, this plant may not be a welcome addition to your home. It’s not too colorful to attract attention, but pets are explorers and might end up ingesting the plant’s leaves out of curiosity. 

Vomiting and diarrhea are some of the known symptoms that occur after ingestion. Such illnesses will cause discomfort to your pet and will warrant frequent visits to the vet. This is why you ought to keep this plant away from your home.

Rubber Tree Plant

The rubber tree plant improves the air quality of your home. The plant’s large leaves absorb airborne pollutants and exhale carbon dioxide, and release breathable oxygen. This is also an easy maintenance plant making it a popular indoor plant. The plant can grow to a size of two meters or more, which is why it’s ideal for those looking for a dominating plant species. 

However, the rubber tree plant can cause mild symptoms such as drooling and loss of appetite when ingested by pets. Therefore, if you want to grow this plant in your home, you’ll have to keep in mind that it can be harmful to your pet.

What to Do If Your Pet Eats Toxic a Houseplant?

If you suspect your dog has ingested plant matter, call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency veterinary clinic immediately. 

Dr. Neck recommends following these steps, “Calling the vet clinic is the first important part,” he says. “This allows the clinic to get ready and means you’re minutes ahead of when you arrive with your pet. We should know what’s coming than for it to burst in the front door.”

Treatment may include intravenous fluid to combat shock, respiratory support on a ventilator if they’ve stopped breathing, and controlling seizures by anesthetizing the animal. If it’s safe to do so, vets may induce vomiting to get out the toxins. If not, they can anesthetize the animal and wash out their stomach. Source: abc.net.au

Hopefully, now you’re aware of some of the common indoor plants that are harmful to pets. If you’re looking for house plants for your home, check out these pet-friendly indoor plants!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
Your custom text © Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
Close