If you’re reading this, you’re likely one of the thousands of people who have been searching for home remodeling and home decor tips since the pandemic began. In the past year alone, the number of home renovation searches has doubled. Despite prices also increasing for materials overall, homeowners are continuing to seek new ideas for home improvement. If you’re looking for easy home decor updates and renovation tips that also won’t cost a fortune, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve selected some of the prettiest pieces on the web!
One of the easiest ways to instantly transform your living space is with a new coat of paint. Keep the lighting in your rooms in mind when choosing colors. If you need to brighten things up, go for lighter color palettes, or pair a darker accent wall with lighter or neutral shades. If you’re seeking a bold and adventurous look, choose colors opposite of each other on the color wheel to ensure the perfect contrast.
Every single wall in our home is painted the same exact way: light gray with white trim. I love how light and bright it keeps our home, even in the middle of the long gloomy winters here in Wisconsin. Everyone has their “favorite” gray paint, mine is Behr Toasty Gray N320-2. We used this paint throughout our entire house and then used a flat white for accented baseboards, ceilings, window trim, and stairs.
How you furnish your home can make or break your overall vibe. Whether you’re going for cozy and minimalist or vibrant and flashy, the furniture pieces you choose should blend right in.
As you know, I love furniture. I love the way it changes a room and how it can make a space feel like home. When we moved into our new house, my husband and I were on the hunt for pieces that would work with our scandinavian mid-century style.
Couches + Sofas
Consider the size and shape of your home. If you’re trying to renovate a small space like an apartment, sectional couches would be a great place to start. If you have awkward spaces or corners to fill, reversible couches are all the rage right now and offer plenty of versatility.
The best thing is to use the ottoman or chaise separately in the room to change the look more easily. Couches with deep cushions and low arms are trendy right now, as their overstuffed appearance provides a timeless look. Whatever style you choose, make sure to know the dimensions of the room before shopping.
- I adore this little sofa from West Elm. The Oliver 2-Seater exudes timeless style and comfort. The clean tight back and supportive seat cushions are covered in a soft, durable fabric that is easy to maintain. Its compact shape makes it perfect for small spaces or second living rooms where space is at a premium. With its stylish wooden legs, the Oliver sofa is an attractive addition to any home decor. Seats two with ease—three in a pinch!
- This Newport Modular Sofa has an airy look that is casual and coastal-inspired. I love that the base is solid wood and that it comes in a variety of colors.
Add Some Accent Chairs
Who doesn’t love a good accent chair? These chairs are not solely to provide you with additional seating for guests; they’re a style statement. This is a fun way to play up color combinations as well: Apply the color wheel rule to furniture too, and a couch and accent chair that will contrast nicely. You can also look for fun prints for your chair that will complement a solidly colored couch.
- How cute is this swivel chair? The Cozy Swivel Chair is a comfortable and stylish addition to any home. A wide, low-slung seat and its inviting shape make it the perfect spot to sit back and unwind. The chair’s cozy design will add a rustic touch to your living room or den while its sturdy construction ensures that this chair can last for years to come. Available in your choice of popular fabrics, the Cozy Swivel Chair is sure to become your favorite place to relax!
- Savannah Rattan Chair: This modern take on a classic French rattan chair is so sexy. (haha yes, a chair can be sexy!) Soft, curvy form adds volume & shape to a room.
- Ronaldo 27.5” Wide Armchair: Founded atop a solid wood frame, it is upholstered in a neutral, textured polyester blend, and filled with foam for comfort. It showcases a low profile, rounded square arms, and sits atop a sleek base.
- Wells Tufted Upholstered Swivel Armchair is a statement-making swivel armchair with the perfect sidekick. Traditional button tufting complements the roomy wingback design of our Wells Collection, while the upholstery creates a beautiful counterpoint to the metal base.
Swap Out Your Door Knobs for New Ones
This sounds like such a simple thing, but you wouldn’t believe how much of a difference new doorknobs make! Updating your doorknobs is an easy home update you can do easily! I have a blog post about how much it changed the look of our home!
- We swapped all the doorknobs throughout our house with these matte black doorknobs.
Change Out Your Rugs
Changing your accent rugs is another easy way to rev up your home decor. If you can only invest in one item to make a big impact in your space, an area or accent rug is an excellent choice. The right living room rug can pull all of your accent colors together, add pattern to a neutral color palette or soften hard edges in a contemporary room.
- This Amber Lewis x Loloi Georgie Collection Rug. The Georgie Collection features vivid saturated colors that are sure to enliven and harmonize as a focal point of your decor space. Durable in construction, the low, even pile of this rug makes for easy cleaning by vacuuming with the beater bar removed and never sheds. The polyester fiber is inherently stain and fade-resistant, maintaining its color, and overall beauty for years to come. The antique-inspired designs from the Georgie Collection effortlessly transcend timeless motifs, providing a high-end demeanor at an affordable price.
- Evadne Medallion Rug – so gorgeous! It has a subtly distressed design for a vintage look! Combines Turkish design with durable polyester, plus it is shed-resistant and easy to clean!
- Chilewich Ikat Floor Mat; Made with the same innovative designs, American craftsmanship and durable materials Chilewich is known for, the hardworking and handsome Chilewich Ikat Floor Mat offers the contrasting colors and tranquil texture of ikat fabric but is crafted of eco-friendly vinyl yarns. It instantly grounds any space in style, from the playroom inside to the outdoor patio.
- Tottori Grey Abstract Rug is hand-loomed of silky viscose yarn, the rug creates the perfect foundation for contemporary living spaces.
- Kirk Color Block Rug is inspired by the abstract textiles produced by the groundbreaking Bauhaus school at the beginning of the 20th century, the Kirk rug continues the modernist tradition in this dynamic color-block rug. This perfectly balanced composition of large-scale blocks of neutral color anchors the room in modern geometry. Each rug is hand-tufted of soft, pure wool yarn.
Have fun changing things up in your home this year. As we near the holidays, most of us are prepping for family nights and hosting dinner parties. This is the perfect time to introduce fun new features to your home, whether it be new paint or new furniture and accents. Even one or two simple changes can give your home a complete makeover just in time to celebrate the upcoming new year.