The holidays are all about generosity, and what’s better than a gift that gives to the people you care about, as well as the causes you care about? Check out these ten unique gifts that will make you feel good about giving.
1. Rudy’s Barbershop Holiday Shower Bundle is a gift set of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that benefits you and LGBTQ youth shelters.
When you buy a bundle, Rudy’s will donate that same bundle to a homeless shelter that serves LGBTQ youth. Their signature scent is citrus, cedar, and juniper. Their products are all sulfate-free, and also cruelty-free which means they’re only tested on humans.
2. Bird+Stone is not only trendy, but they support socially conscious causes.
Bird+Stone makes jewelry with sustainable materials out of NYC, using upcycled brass and recycled glass beads. The jeweler sells a cuff bracelet that has printed on the outside, “The Future is Female.” Five dollars from this cuff is donated to planned parenthood. Another shows a line graph of the Earth’s rising temperature from 1880 to now and says “Our Planet, Our Future” on the inside. Five dollars from this cuff goes to the environmental organization of your choice (including the National Resources Defense Council, the Environmental Defense Fund, the Sierra Club, and 350.org). If you sign up for their newsletter, you’ll get ten percent off of your first purchase.
3. B.A.R.E. Soaps mission is to bring sanitation education to the other side of the world.
Currently, they are working in Uganda and India. They have a long-term goal of “bringing antiseptic resources to everyone.” B.A.R.E. soaps sell all-natural soap, candles, and bath products. Their products are sustainably sourced and cruelty-free. Twenty percent of the proceeds go toward purchasing sanitary and health supplies and funding local initiatives with Children’s HopeChest in Uganda. The money also supports the Sundara Fund, which pays women in India fair wages to transform used hotel soap into new sanitary products and teach their communities about hygiene. Unicef estimates that diarrhea kills one child every thirty seconds. Just a simple bar of soap can prevent diarrheal diseases by over forty percent.
4. Lubanzi Wines for the socially conscious wine connoisseur in your life.
Fifty percent of all proceeds are given back to the Pebbles Project which works with the South African families that live and work on the wine farms where Lubanzi Wines are cultivated. The Pebbles Project provides health and education resources for these families. Their impact to date has given fifty-four children access to dental services, and 94 children improved access to medical services.
5. Love Your Melon is on a mission to improve the lives of children battling cancer.
Love Your Melon began with the simple idea of putting a hat on every child battling cancer in America. Fifty percent (50%) of net profit from the sale of all Love Your Melon products is given to nonprofit organizations around the world that lead the fight against pediatric cancer. Together, we create therapeutic experiences and fund charitable programming initiatives for children and families battling cancer. Photo Credit: Love Your Melon
6. Mitscoots Outfitters prides itself in employing the transitioning homeless.
For every item purchased, donates an equal quality item to someone in need. Mitscoots has apparel for men, women, and children.
7. LottoLove Cards are scratch-offs where everyone wins.
Each card gives either clean water, solar light, literacy tools, or nutritious meals to those in need. Their partners include WaterisLife, LitWorld, Rise Against Hunger, and SolarAid. Each order is hand-packed from Brooklyn, NY. Photo credit: LottoLove Crds
8. Grounds and Hounds is for the dog lover who believes that a good cup of coffee is second only to waking up to doggy kisses.
Twenty percent of all proceeds go to the rescue partner closest to you. Grounds and Hounds believes that every dog deserves a chance at a happy life. Their whole bean or ground starter kit makes for a perfect gift and includes three bags: morning walk breakfast blend, papers and slippers medium roast, and alpha blend dark roast. All of their coffee is organic fair trade. Photo Credit: Grounds and Hounds
9. Warby Parker will give a pair when you buy a pair, allowing those in need a chance at clear vision.
Warby Parker sells sunglasses, too, so that you don’t need a prescription to purchase.
10. Made Trade allows you to shop freely, knowing each piece has been responsibly sourced, and expertly handcrafted with sustainable materials.
Made Trade sources and curates beautifully designed, ethically-sourced goods from artisans and makers from around the globe. The business also donates to environmental projects through its membership with 1% for the Planet. Photo Credit: Made Trade