Whether you’re selling your home, have just purchased a home, or are living in your childhood home, there will be things that you’ll want to remodel for added value, eventually. But where would you start? It’s all about first impressions, curb appeal, if you’re doing the remodel for home value, and how the inside space flows together.
The great thing is that you can make small changes or big renovations that will boost your home’s value, and it doesn’t have to be overly expensive woo-hoo!
Remodeling for Added Value
If you decide to start a renovation project, you should be careful that the renovation you plan will add value to your home and not reduce your home’s value.
Bathrooms Are Essential for Adding Value to Your Home
We updated our two bathrooms and our powder room on the main floor to add value to our home. Bathroom remodels are one of the top remodels and renovations that you can do. Imagine the feeling of walking into your soaking sanctuary.
The best updates that can add value to your bathroom are:
- Replace all the fixtures
- Install a porcelain-on-steel tub with ceramic tiles around it
- New, modern shower with a rainfall showerhead
- A nice, standard height toilet
- New tile flooring
- Update the mirror
- Update the light fixtures
- Paint with neutral colors (I can help you pick the perfect gray paint!)
Bathroom Addition | Midrange: According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost V. Value report. A basic modern remodel is just around $21,377, while the resale value will be about $13,688, and you could recoup about 64.0%.
Remodeling the Kitchen Adding Some Value
Updating your kitchen is a must if you want to add value to your home.
Your remodel could include:
- New appliances
- Neutral and modern backsplash (should coordinate with the kitchen walls)
- Update your cabinet hardware
- Paint your cabinets (Yes, painting your cabinets is a thing) or Replace Your Cabinets
- Modernize the lighting
Your kitchen should be updated with a modern look and feel about it. When you love your kitchen, you love cooking, baking, and entertaining! I love our kitchen so much – we have granite countertops, modern fixtures, and black cabinets.
Minor Kitchen Remodel | Midrange: According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost V. Value report. A basic midrange modern kitchen remodel is just around $23,452, while the resale value will be about $18,206, and you could recoup about 77.6%.
Need some kitchen remodeling ideas? I’ve rounded up some Drool-Worthy Kitchens.
Ramp Up Your Home’s Curb Appeal
First impressions matter; whether you’re selling a home or just showing off your own home, it can be a big deal. A potential buyer is more likely to walk away if the curb appeal is not there. However, updating your curb can be inexpensive and easy.
Here are some things you can do to improve your home’s curb appeal:
- Groom your garden beds
- Trim the bushes and trees
- Power-wash the exterior of the house including, the driveway
- Paint the front door (choose a color that will compliment the color of the house)
- Modernize exterior light fixtures
- Place recycling and trash bins neatly out of view.
- Add a pop of color with flower beds.
- Place mulch around manicured bushes and trees