My friends and I all use essential oils on the reg & we all are dog moms. So, I figured sharing what I know & have researched about essential oils for dogs would be a great read for my friends & very informative for all of my dog-loving followers.
Commonly used topically or aromatically, essential oils have both emotional and physical benefits for dogs. Essential oils have been used for centuries to reduce stress, improve health, and kill bacteria.
I use essential oils for our dogs aromatically through a making a spray or with a diffuser (we have three in our home, linked below.) For topical use, you can apply diluted essential oils to your dog’s spine, ears, or on their toes/pads.
A few of my favorite essential oils that are safe for dogs that I diffuse daily:
- Caraway has antiseptic, antispasmodic, and disinfectant properties.
- Peppermint Oil can be used to open up your dog’s airways and help with respiratory issues.
- Spearmint Oil can help reduce weight and balance metabolism.
- Lavender has a calming effect. It reduces stress and anxiety. You can use this oil to help dogs suffering from separation stress or use it in a spray when introducing or exposing your dog to a “high stress” experience, such as a car ride or trip to the vet.
- Tangerine, Ylang Ylang & Orange is like Lavender and all have a calming effect. I like to diffuse these at night or throughout the day in our kitchen. Kenzo’s favorite is Ylang Ylang.
Safety Tips for Using Essential Oils
- Tea tree, garlic, juniper, wintergreen, and yarrow should not be used on dogs.
- Essential oils should always be diluted in a water or a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. *Remember dogs’ noses are much stronger than humans’.
- Never put essential oils in your pet’s food or water.
- You can apply the essential oils topically to aid recovery from bruises, scars, arthritis, fleas, and skin infections.
- Essential oils should not be used on a puppy younger than 10 weeks.
I buy my essential oils from Jade Bloom because they are high-quality essential oils with NO additives. I like buying from Jade Bloom because they not only have excellent customer service but they offer an “online college” so you can make educated purchases & they have a great reward point system. (These are my own positive statements based off 4 years of buying from JB & I have not been compensated to make these statements)
There are lots of books on Amazon & in your local library about essential oils for animals that could answer any questions you might have. I frequently refer to Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals: A Comprehensive Guide to the Use of Essential Oils & Hydrosols with Animals. I purchased it on amazon based on the positive reviews and high-star rating. It is an practical guide to have around the house and I refer to it often when I have a specific question about using a specific oils safely/effectively and/or to cross-check that the oils & oil-blends that we have in our home are safe for Kenzo & Vík.
Do you use or diffuse essential oils? What are your favorites?
Shop this Post: